Eating and staying healthy is not always easy but a must in every household. Staying healthy should be your second nature in life. Smart food choices can keep you fit and healthy all summer long.
While it’s fun to eat all six taste sensations namely sweet, salty, sour, spicy, bitter, and sharp; go easy on these flavours.
Some sharp flavours, such as beans and pomegranate, are good for you if you tend to have oily skin or suffer from rashes, water retention, or hives in summer. If you are entertaining this summer try to do it moderately and keep it as healthy as possible.
Ice cream is a favourite dessert during summer, so if you’re going to have it, do so during midday when your appetite is strongest; and do so in moderation. Too much cold and heavy food can cause major indigestion and lead to digestive problems.
Food to indulge in this summer:
- Aloe Vera juice, pomegranate, lime juice, coconut oil, fresh water and milk. Try warm milk before bed, this will help you sleep better.
- Juicy sweet fruits such as watermelon, melon, peaches or sweet citrus. Eating them on their own is very healthy.
- Eating light grains such as quinoa, white rice, corn, heavier grains like brown rice and white wheat should be taken in moderation. These you can get in bulk at your local wholesaler.
- If you are a meat lover then chicken or a lean meat is best.
Food to avoid or to minimize on:
- Yogurt. If you want to have yogurt, rather choose a low fat of fat free option.
- Heavy red meat such as beef or buffalo.
- Extremely oily foods such as fries, chips or much fish.
- Excessively dry foods such as popcorn or garbanzo beans.
- Very spicy food such as chillies and cayenne pepper.
- Peanuts (salted or plain) with or without raisins.
- Fermented food such as pickles in the glass jar.
- Extremely salty foods.
- Alcohol and coffee should be minimized. If you’re a coffee drinker, enjoy it with cardamom to minimize the heat and caffeine or go for a latte instead of an espresso. Tea is a good alternative as it’s less acidic and not quite as heating.
A summer diet should be light and easy to digest, but not too dry. So rather than gorging on barbequed ribs, chips, popcorn, potato salad, and burgers, try having a light quinoa bowl with carrots, cilantro, and zucchini with ghee. Don’t forget that eating should be coupled with daily exercise too. This will make your healthy eating worth your while.
J&E Cash ‘n Carry is one of South Africa’s biggest wholesalers in the following categories of products: Cosmetics, Groceries, Sweets, Personal Care, Household, Health, Beauty, Baby, Hardware, Electric & Stationery. We supply traders only, and offer the highest standards of service, the cheapest deals, and the best buying experience.